Like to Submit an Article?
We’re looking for interesting articles, lively in tone, much like that which you would find in a newspaper. Our blog posts usually argue a point, draw a line of argument, trace the emergence of a trend, or just discuss something interesting.
Some topics lend themselves best to long-form essays, while others work better in list form. We also post Q&A’s, quizzes, slideshows, videos, and audio files. The most important thing to remember is that we’re not looking for an explicitly promotional piece (but you can submit if it is related to addiction and substance abuse recovery). We want to spark a conversation.
What are the guidelines when submitting an article?
No technical expertise is needed. As this is written for an online audience, we try to make the pages web-friendly and appealing to read onscreen, such as including hyperlinks and images. Sober Group follows Hart’s Rules style guide, but the most important thing is to write as you would in your native English.
- Submit your article as a Word document.
- Single-space between sentences.
- Indicate a new paragraph with a hard return, rather than an indentation.
- Include a brief 2-4 sentence bio, including your academic webpage and any social media profiles.
- Create hyperlinks (embedded references) for any/all direct references by highlighting the text.
- Don’t use footnotes or endnotes.
- Include images that we have the right or permission to use.
- The title and subtitle of your post should be clear and succinct. Imagine what a person would query in Google to find out about this topic.
- The word count is flexible, but most authors aim for 700-800 words.